Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Teaching Moments

So I decided that since Tade will be starting kindergarten in the fall I should start helping him learn a few things. He knows all his letters and most of the sounds so I thought why not start teaching him how to read. Well, that didn't last long because it is really frustrating trying to teach a kid to read! The kids and I have been attending a Cradled In Literacy workshop where I was introduced to "sight" words. So I thought we could try to learn some of those before the fall. (For those of you who don't know, like I didn't, these are words that are used very frequently (the, as, is, in, big, are, etc.) and the kids are expected to read the by sight, meaning without having to sound them out every time.) Well, we got a few games from book orders to help us practice and it is going okay. The only problem is Tade calls them "Satan" words. I just have to laugh! He keeps asking to play his "Satan" games. Oh well! At least he is learning a few of them!!!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

So cute. You are such a good mom! I have very little patience when trying to teach Krista new things. I think some kids are more eager to learn than others, and she seems to want to do it on her own time!

Ap said...

etcetera is kind of a big word for him to learn, isn't it?

AmbertheGreat said...

tader, what a funny kid - so are you up for work day again???

Sara :-) said...

that really is a big sight word isn't it ash! :-) LOL! haha