Monday, October 13, 2008

It's Official

On the Sunday before General Conference our wards got split. We all knew it was going to happen eventually. Maybe not as soon as it did, but eventually. We lost all of the older, retired people and a lot of great young people (friends). It was sad, but it did need to happen. Eric got released from the Bishopric. He was really excited! I was a little bummed because I've selfishly been counting on those blessings.

Here's the reason for my post. A lot of the leadership in the ward came with us (Willows Ward: a new name). I figured if I didn't get a call before General Conference, I was pretty safe. We eat dinner at one of our parent's homes every Sunday. When we got back from Eric's mom's house that evening there was a message from the new executive secretary saying the Bishop wanted to meet with us on Tuesday! Ahhhhhh!!! On Tuesday, I got a new call, while Eric was told he was going to get a little break. This Sunday was our first meeting and I got sustained as the new Relief Society President. I know, "What are they thinking. You're so young. Tons of other ladies are way more qualified." Well, I haven't really figured out the answer to these questions either, but I know Heavenly Father will bless me and I just need to work hard and have faith. Any advice would be appreciated. My presidency is awesome! I am really excited for the women I get to work with and serve.

I loved the talk by Elder Corbridge in the Saturday Afternoon Session. This was a great part of it, "Only God can bless us. Only He can sustain us. Only He can cause our hearts to beat and give us breath. Only He can preserve and protect us. Only He can give us strength to bear up the burdens of life. Only He can give us power, knowledge, peace, and joy. Only He can forgive our sins. Only He can heal us. Only He can change us and forge a godly soul. Only He can bring us back into His presence. And He will do all of that and much more if we but remember Him to keep His commandments. What then shall we do? We will remember Him to keep His commandments. It is the only intelligent thing to do." I am grateful for a Savior who loves me that much. I know He lives and am excited to take on this challenge. Thanks for all of your love and support!

16 comments:

Kelli said...

Yeah for Relief Society! I am super excited to be serving with you and to have the chance to serve the sisters. Let me know if you need me to do anything. Thanks for sharing the quote. It is very inspiring and uplifting.

Alli said...

OH that is so wonderful Angela. I would be scared to death!! Young womens was hard enough for me. haha. OH I miss you guys all so much.. I like my new ward but, it isn't like my old one. hummmm. Wish I could join you guys every sunday to listen to you guys. Best of luck!!

Ashley said...

AAAAAHHHH! I KNEW IT!!! You are such a better woman than I.... I would be absolutely freaking out! I guess that's why you always get those dandy little callings you seem to attract. Not only do you have a kind, pure heart and a wonderfully lovable personality, but you have the organization and leadership skills necessary to lead. I have all the faith in the world in you; I think you could do anything. Just be you and you'll be great! And remember, I still live close by and I want to help you in any way possible! Let me know if I can ever watch the kids or do anything else you need!

ShaRee said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I was so nervous about giving that talk but I learned a ton by preparing it. I'm sure the talk you want a copy of is Marvin J Ballard's discourse called the Sacramental Covenant from 1976. It's an amazing talk, and you should be able to find it online. And as for you miss RS Pres- you are the perfect one for that calling!!! When Mara told us yesterday to think of someone that has the celestial kingdom qualities, you were one of the first ones that popped in my head. You are such a great example and you just radiate the love of Christ! You will be awesome! I'm just sad I won't be able to see you grow through this calling...

KristiKay said...

There was never a doubt in my mind you were right for the job. When they told I wouldn't have you anymore, I knew you'd be the RS President. You ARE qualified and hard working and loving. You've always been a good example to me! Thanks for accepting this calling...I know you'll do a wonderful job.

Sarah H. said...

That is so awesome. I can say that because I'm not you. YW President is enough for me right now. You are perfect for the calling. You were great in Primary when I was there with you and I have no doubt that you will be great in RS. Watch out Eric!! Get ready for lots of daddy/kiddy time. I'm sure your get lots of that anyway. I'll have to email you a quote that I have about callings and feeling "qualified". It's too long for the comment box. Miss you guys.

Knapp Time said...

Wow!! That is awesome... you will do great! Weren't you the Primary President at one point as well? Your amazing!

Lisa and Daniel said...

Thats so awesome! I love love love love the RS and wish I'd get to go more often, but they just called me to teach in primary again... we'll see how it goes. I'm so excited for you and I think you will do an amazing and wonderful job at it!

Megan said...

You will do wonderful! I am really excited for you. The ladies in the ward are going to be sooo blessed by you. Good Luck! This is the old Megan Miller... in case you didn't know.

Romney Family said...

Angela~ you will do such a great job!! You always did a great job when you were in the Presidency in Lakeridge ward!! We got moved to a different ward also we are now in the 22nd ward and we meet right after you guys!!

Chersten said...

Congrats on the calling - you will work wonders. You are such a wonderful person...Eric is lucky to have you. Cherst

Lee & Kindra said...

I am so excited you are the Relief Society President. I'm looking forward to getting to know you a little better. It's pretty sad because you only live a couple houses down the street and I don't know you that well. You'll do great!

Sarah L. said...

You will be great as the R.S. president. I bet the other ladies are way excited:)

Thanks for your kind words on my blog. This Prop 8 stuff has been a huge learning experience. It just amazes me how people in the church are split on this. There are a lot of members who don't support the cause. This is just the beginning of the trials that we will face in the last days. If they can't handle this, wow, they aren't going to make it. If you lived here you would be doing the same thing I am. :)

Laura Beers said...

Okay I am super impressed by your and Eric. You both are doing so well in the church and have held amazing callings. I am currently a Webelos leader and that is awesome for me.

Good luck but I know that Heavenly Father has picked the right person for the job. I am so impressed at your willingness to serve such a demanding calling with your two kids.

I had no idea that Eric was in the bishopric. Wow...you two must have barely saw each other. If you two keep this religious thing up then you two could be mission presidents in a few years!!!

Good luck!!! I know you will do an amazing job and that you will bring so much joy and help in the lives of the sisters that you are over!

Rach Romney said...

Angela, Iam so excited for you to be RS President!! YOu are so amazing and are going to do awesome in this calling!

CAMI said...

Angela you will do so great! I have always admired how much you do and how well you do it! That was a very inspiring quote Elder Corbridge. I need to put that on my wall. You are awesome!